Monday, January 5, 2009

it's raining presents


The Fiancé and I had our first wedding shower this past weekend. It was hosted by my extended family and attended by all of my aunts and uncles, the majority of my cousins and their families, as well as a few close family friends. It. was. fantastic.

After years [30] of always being the bridesmaid and never the bride, I must confess how special it felt to be The Bride... how flabberghasted I felt (again and again) to realize the reason for the party was our wedding! ... how amazing it was to see some members of my family that I literally hadn't seen in ten years... And it all reminded me that a wedding isn't just about two people [at least, This Wedding isn't]. It's about all of our friends, it's about The Fiancé's family and my family, and my five aunts, five uncles, grandmother, 16 cousins and their 12 spouses and their countless children (...all of whom will be included on a pop quiz I'm preparing for The Fiancé to test how much he remembers... KIDDING!) In other words, a wedding is so much larger than just Us.

Which is why even the act of writing Thank You notes last night (yes, We are on. top. of. things!) seems inadequate. How do You thank a friend, and Your family, not for towels and martini shakers (though these items ARE certainly necessary for a happy marriage...), but for being Your friends and family and for being happy for You and supporting You? ...If You figure it out, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm just going to feel blessed this Monday morning. Not for the presents (though opening them was seriously like drinking Rasberry Vodka...yum). But for the amazing start to 2009 - a year I honestly can't wait to experience with all my friends and family!


Photo source:
Barca

No comments: