Monday, November 17, 2008

love is patient, love is kind

Before seeing this picture, I'd never heard of the Wayfarer’s Chapel, which sits on the cliffs above the ocean in Los Angeles. The engraved stairs leading up to the alter are breathtaking... if You're in to that sort of thing [which I am].

I love places of worship that introduce unique and novel ways to inspire. This particular photo, in this particular setting, both subtly and impactfully remind me what love and faith, and a wedding (at least our wedding), are really all about.


It is difficult to plan a wedding that avoids all the usual clichés and stereotypes. I was speaking with my friends this weekend about whether or not to use First Corinthians, Chapter 13, as one of our readings... I love the reading, but feel as though its message has lost its novelty by overuse in every wedding I've attended the past ten years. Maybe that's just me.

This picture reminds me that there is a beauty in reinvention of what we know and are used to. The challenge is figuring how to incorporate familiar elements into a wedding ceremony in a way that manges to be familiar, but avoids being a cliché... Though, I don't suppose our church will permit engraving "Love is patient..." into its 137-year-old alter, huh?

3 comments:

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I've heard of the Wayfarer's chapel, but didn't realize they had that engraving. I think you are right, traditional but not cliche... it'll be a challenge, but definitely can't be done... even if you don't engrave onto the steps of your church ;) Can't wait to see what you come up with

perfect bound said...

Thanks for tagging me! I just posted my 7 random facts which are actually 7 random photos. Now I'm off to read the rest of your blog!

Anonymous said...

add to your boutique or store the latest fashion in no time. beautiful maxi dresses Wedding ceremony is perhaps the most important even tin one’s life beautiful mother of bride dress and particularly for a girl. Since she is the centre of attraction that day, beautiful mother of bride dresses