Wednesday, October 8, 2008

not like grama's

Last night, I discovered a jar of applesauce The Fiancé had in the refrigerator. I decided to sample it as a new dessert option, in my effort to be healthy (read: effort not to eat ice cream). Gleeful in my discovery of something that was both wholesome and sweet in my own kitchen, imagine my disappointment upon the discovery that Motts is absolutely nothing - I mean nothing - like what Grama used to make.

This led to my declaration to The Fiancé that we need to add items to our registry that will enable me to make homemade applesauce. I don't know what those items might be, but I seem to recall some sort of grinder-contraption being needed to mash the apples (upon my explanation of this, The Fiancé looked at me like I was coo-coo; I could almost see his mind reeling at the vision of me, in a kitchen, with fancy grinding tools, trying to make something edible). I ignored his incredulous stares and continued with my illustration of why Motts is deficient and why I need to learn to make yummy, not watery, delicious homemade applesauce.

To which he responded (after decrying the irony of a woman who at lunch was learning about how to improve and reform the civil justice system in Chicago now wanting to learn how to mash fruit), "You know there are store-bought options out there other than Motts, that are made to taste more like homemade, right?"

Me: "What...?!"

Why didn't he just say so? Screw the grinder. What, did he think I wanted to be domesticated or something? As if.

2 comments:

JennyLee said...

haha! as if. classic.

Mrs. in May said...

I have a great dessert. Frozen bananas! I freeze them, let them defrost a little bit and add a wad of fat free sugar free cool whip, its like ice cream and delish! And good for you!