Sunday, October 19, 2008

singing in the rain


In my semi-usual scanning of the wedding blogs today, many of which are based in Chicago (because I live here and thus feel a particular connection to Chicago bloggers), I noticed a prevalence of weather-based entries. Apparently there was a chance of rain this past Saturday (I wouldn't know; I was in Boston meeting The Godchild(!)), and it had all the Chicago brides up in a tizzy. I scanned turtlepond.com (yes, my beloved photographer) and noted a recent entry about a wedding in the rain and the bride's worried anticipation of it.

It made me wonder: will I obsess about the weather the week, the day, of my wedding? As an observer [which I still consider myself to be] of this wedding process, it appears that the closer the date approaches, the more brides become devotees of weather.com. The question that springs to my mind, is, why?

I mean, I won't lie: I'm just as much a weather-checker as the next guy on your average Friday afternoon with the start of a weekend [hopefully spent outdoors] rapidly approaching. Or when I have a flight to catch. But. Does it really matter what the weather is going to be on Your wedding day? The day should be anticipated most for the event, not the atmosphere. I can't imagine waking up on April 18, 2009, seeing gray skies, and caring one iota about it when I know that several hours later, I will marry my best friend. Come hell or high water, as They say.

Isn't that what it's all about? Now, granted, our wedding will be indoors, and other than photo ops and getting from here to there, the weather isn't really of major import. It would be nice to have pictures outside. It would be nice not to freeze when running from hotel to church, to not have to dodge raindrops. It would be nice. But not necessary. We are, after all, getting married in April. In the Midwest. And we are well aware of this (we chose the date, remember). Home of "April showers bring May flowers..." I know the rhyme. Several have reminded me of this brilliant pronouncement when I've told them our wedding date. It makes me wonder why people take pleasure in imparting such fantastic knowledge of which they clearly think I am unaware.

I'm not going to write about the weather the week of our wedding. If it rains on our wedding day, You don't have to tell me, "I'm so sorry!" I won't be disappointed. *Pinky swear*

But. You knew there was a but.

Just for good measure, I checked the weekly averages for rainfall in Indianapolis in April. Turns out chances of rain are better in May, June, July AND August. So there.


photo source: Laura Novak's blog of Matt and Carol's wedding

3 comments:

__ said...

I guess that's true if you're getting married in a church and having a reception indoors but for a bride who's having an outdoor ceremony and reception, I can understand being a bit anxious. Oh, wait, that would be ... me.

;o)

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I agree, i dont think indi gets as much rain in april as in the summer - and those summer thunderstorms come out of nowhere. AND i think you have a positive attitude about it. Also, I saw some great pics of fun colored umbrellas that someone incorporated on their day - so it could make your pictures more fun too :)

Jen said...

I stumbled across your blog and saw this post about Indianapolis ... I'm getting married in Indianapolis next summer too and just wanted to say hi! I haven't stumbled across many other Indy ladies on the blogosphere yet.