Tuesday, September 30, 2008

i want what i can't have

I used to be crafty. I remember when I was nine I made this lovely little shoebox filled with paper people --They were kind of like those cut-outs with little fold-over tab clothing that you could dress [only they mine were permanently dressed, of course]. There was even furniture. Seriously. 3D. I was so creative. I presented my shoebox to my grandmother, and of course she confirmed my brilliance and applauded my artistic abilities.

Then, I grew up. I continued with artsy things right into college, wherein I eventually lost interest (or stopped getting As), and focused instead on more business-related pursuits. Fast forward to today, wherein my free time is spent reading the New York Times and researching CD rates rather than utilizing any remaining creative instincts.

This background may explain my quick obsession with wedding-related projects. One thing I never lost: my love of a good project. It took maybe 2.5 seconds after getting engaged to start dreaming of all the lovely d.i.y. projects I incorporate into The Wedding. There's just one problem: did I mention The Wedding isn't my day job? My former craftiness seems to have disappeared through sieve known as Life. Which is why, upon this history, when I stumble across amazing wedding d.i.y. projects done by much craftier folks than I, I actually wince with jealousy. Many of these projects seem to revolve around something called a "gocco." Again, I'm an attorney; I do not even know what "gocco" is. I think it's some sort of magical tool. Apparently it lets you create coasters like this, which incites the rage inside me... I think I want one, whatever it is.

Ridiculously cute coasters courtesy of Kristina and her gocco over at Lovely Mornings:


No comments: