Friday, September 12, 2008

“is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?”

When one says "gun" in the same sentence as "wedding," the natural inclination (one would think) is that it is a conversation about wedding registries... (or maybe shot gun marriages?!)Because where else would the two words collide?! You can imagine my horror, then, when The Fiancé, upon my announcement of this blog's commencement, asked if he could be a guest blogger... and blog about guns (the real, not the registry, kind). He wondered aloud if there was some way they could be incorporated into our wedding. Answer: No. I love this former Army-officer dearly. But Dear, you're going to have to think of another topic before I hand over the keyboard.
Nonetheless, in his honor, I did find this - and the answer to whether we can have it, is, preemtively: NO.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you should allow the gun blogging, but only if every post has a black and white picture of a different gun on some sort of elegant white cloth or lace. It would be very wedding-like.

Anonymous said...

Comments from "The Fiance" (at least I merit a capitalized definite article):

I merely suggested that we have a gun salute at the wedding. This seems utterly appropriate - cultures around the world happily discharged various weapons, from fireworks to assault rifles, upon nuptials - I don't see why we can't do the same.

I would point out that The Bride-to-Be will be happy to know that I don't intend to honor the military tradition whereby an usher uses a sword to stop of the progress of the happy couple as they leave the church, and the best man delivers a firm swat on the posterior of The Bride with the flat of his sword before allowing them to continue on their merry way.

Anonymous said...

Too bad... I know one usher who would be super excited to halt the progress of the newlyweds with a sword!