Tuesday, September 16, 2008

in seersucker and in shame

I adore the New York Times. I do. I shudder, however, when the New York Times reports that the latest trend of wedding couples is to dictate their guests' attire... As in, "Please wear x, not y..."

I had to read this article twice to determine its authenticity. I mean, it had to be a joke, right? There can't really be a bride out there who "is requesting “hacienda chic,” which, as interpreted by the bride-to-be, means seersucker suits for men and brightly colored cocktail dresses for women."... can there?!?

[Think: Amanda Brooks & Hamish Bowles in Men's Vogue, circa 2006:]

I mean, yes, the attire [at right] is adorable. But it somehow loses its appeal when mandated. In fact, it just becomes downright absurd. Moreover, the thought of any number of our friends in seersucker literally makes a chuckle bubble up inside me. *Hee* Incomprehensible.

Why, then, I wonder, do some brides feel the desire to define not just themselves on their wedding day, but their treasured guests? This desperate grasp for control seems to be the final bucket heave from an otherwise sinking ship.

"According to Antonia van der Meer, the editor in chief of Modern Bride and Elegant Bride magazines, many guests enjoy being asked to dress in “festive brights” or “boating elegant.”"

Really?! Who are these guests? I can assure you they are not the type guests The Fiancé and I would be to any sort of wedded soiree, and thus I must assume they are not the type guests we would invite either. I'm not even sure what "boating elegant" means... This does cause me to ponder, however, what we'd see if we requested our guests arrive in "Irish Chic." Tweed jackets and riding britches, maybe...? Oooo, or Aran Islands wool atop tulle... yes, that would be lovely... I do love tulle...

"[W]hen she married Rossano Rubicondi in Palm Beach, Fla., in April, Ivana Trump spelled out her wishes at the bottom of the invitation. Opposite the words “no cameras or cellphones permitted” were the guidelines for attire: white tie for men and “pastelle” long gowns for women, with three additional caveats: no prints; no yellow (reserved for the maid of honor); and no pink (reserved for the bride).""

Wow. Dear Guests: I hereby pledge you can wear whatever you want to our wedding (I know I will live to regret this, but sobeit...). Just promise to have a merry old time. The only thing reserved for this Bride on her wedding day is the heart of her Groom (be it dressed in tweed or seersucker or anything in-between).

1 comment:

cara said...

They can't be serious. I couldn't even bring myself to tell our bridesmaids what to wear. We specified that it would be a 'relaxed affair, ties and hats not necessary but very welcome". Three people interpreted 'relaxed' as every day wear and one as a t-shirt with food on it which ammused me greatly.