Sunday, September 14, 2008

sink the biz

I went to law school in a little town in Indiana called Bloomington (a/k/a God's country). It didn't take long (ok, it was literally my first night there...) to discover Nick's English Hut. And it didn't take long thereafter (ok, it was my first Friday night on campus...) to be invited to play Sink the Biz... A game us "Hoosiers" (don't ask met to define that) take pride in saying originated at Nick's English Hut. The Rules of the Game are simple: You have a bucket filled with beer. You place a shot glass in The Bucket, and take turns pouring beer into the glass until it "sinks", and the [un]lucky sinker has to chug the shot. (Vicious deviations in the game require the sinker to chug the whole Bucket... followed immediately thereafter by a trip to the E.R. for alcohol poisoning.) Having spent three glorious years of my existence partaking in this debauchery at Nick's (and several years thereafter returning to play some more...), you can imagine the glee of me and my fellow I.U. alums when at The Fiancé's and my engagement party last night, it was discovered that our hostess was the proud owner of her very own Bucket. Not just any bucket. The Bucket. Like the kind you can only buy at Nick's. With, regulation shot glass. Game on.

An evening of gracious celebration (think: champagne toasts, wine directly from Napa, home-baked crab dip ...) quickly turned into a Lesson to non-I.U. grads (including The Fiancé) about the Rules of the Game... The remainder of the evening is a bit fuzzy. Go I.U.

Fast forward to today, wherein The Fiancé delightedly informed me that Sink the Bismarck is probably a reference to the German warship of WWII fame.

My response: blank stare.

Clearly he did not go to I.U. (and instead went some place that teaches silly things like history). Here I just thought it was a drinking game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sink the biz was great on Sat. next time we'll bring our bucket too & we'll have to get multiple games going ;)